Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Past Four Months- A Relationship I Never Asked For

Well, first of all I want to say that I have started about five or six posts and just never finished them. I really wanted to blog but every time I would start I would feel like I was too overwhelmed with other things to do to be able to finish it, so I never would. But, of course as soon as I decide I wasn't going to make a post I would head straight to Facebook or Pinterest. DANG those things are addicting!!! But, the past is the past and here I am posting...

So, four months and two days ago I woke up with a headache. It wasn't anything extreme that day. I took some pain pills hoping they would help, but it was one of those headaches where it was just too late to take them. So, I just went to sleep and assumed that in the morning it would be gone, since that is what normally happens to me when I have a headache I can just sort of sleep it off. But, this time it was different I woke up the next morning with the same headache bugging me all day at church. Since that day, I have woken up every single day with a headache. I will wake up with one every day and go asleep with the same one, sometimes it will hurt MORE than it did in the morning and sometimes (rarely) it will hurt LESS. But, although I spend every day with this headache we really haven't gotten to know each other as well I as I would have liked. Sometimes I try to avoid it even being around. But, it is like a lost puppy that found a home with me and just WON'T GO AWAY! I really have been over this headache since the day we met. But, it just seems to want to be with me so badly and I can't do anything to make it go away. It has been so frustrating and extremely emotional. I feel so horrible for anyone who has had to be around me during any part of this process (especially my winter semester roommates that had to deal with me on steroids...they made me SO moody!) With all of the frustrating things that have come with this headache, I think the thing that has become the most annoying is not knowing what is causing them and having no treatment. So, here is sort of the journey I have been through with this headache. All of the things that we've been through to try to figure out why things are the way they are and why it won't go away.

 So, January 28th I woke up with a headache. I have rarely woken up in the morning with a headache, but this one was really weird. It got worse throughout the day and it was a really miserable weekend. Then, it went on every day for a few weeks. It would never go away; I took a bunch of different pain medications and I even mixed different types of meds. (Nothing dangerous… although my roommates got a little afraid for a while and tried to take me to the hospital, they literally carried me out of my apartment once to go in until I finally agreed to go to the doctor if it continued another week...and it did continue). At some point I had the opportunity to receive a blessing and I was told in the blessing that I would be healed and the headache would go away. I went into the doctor and they just gave me an IV with a bunch of different medications in it to “help”. (it was torodol, benedryl, and phenegran)They definitely did not help. So, I went home completely drugged up and slept a lot. I went in on a Friday and then over the weekend my headache got to be so terrible, so I almost went into urgent care, but I decided to wait until Monday just to go back into the regular doctor. So, when they were shocked to see me back they sent me to the hospital for a CT scan of my head. They found a cyst in my sinus so I got referred to an ENT (Ear nose throat doctor) for later that week and was sent home with some MIGRAINE MEDICINE (called fioricet). When I went into that doctor he basically told me that the cyst was large, but it probably was not what was causing the headache because cysts (when they are a problem) they cause more of a localized pain and that was not what I was experiencing. So, he tried some different medications on me to treat a tension headache (steroids and muscle relaxers.) But, those didn't do anything either. A few weeks later I ended up in the hospital because it had never been as bad as it was that day. So, I went to the hospital and they just gave me oral medications (vicadin) plus an IV (with torodol, benedryl, and phenegran again) and had to put me on oxygen. Then, when nothing worked they finally put me on morphine. That helped, although I don’t remember most of the rest of it I was told that I was super crazy and I couldn’t really open my eyes. But, eventually I found myself back at home. But, it was an interesting experience. I woke up the next morning just exhausted and really hurting. It was no fun. So, I went back to the ENT to figure out what was going on. He was confused so he sent me to a neurologist to see if there was anything going on there. I had to wait 2 weeks to get into the neurologist and the whole time I was taking heavy duty pain pills (like vicadin was one) and nothing was even making it go away. So, that same week I also went to get a massage which was relaxing, but still didn’t make anything in my head any better sadly.  By this time it was March. The second week in March or so was when I had my appointment. The week of my appointment I was given a blessing again and the blessing was more specific than the first. It was exactly what I needed to hear at the time and also in it said that I would be healed through modern medicine. So, I knew that I would be healed I just didn’t know how long I would have to wait until that blessing was received fully. The day of my appointment I  walked in to check in and I said my name and the lady was sort of confused, like she had not seen my name anywhere. So, she looks all over in the computer and in her new patient folders for the day. Then she went to a back cupboard and found a sheet of paper with my name on it. Turns out they took my appointment down but never put me in their computer system, so they made another appointment for two weeks later and sent me home. I had to get my boss to cover my shift for work and had to drive a half hour for this appointment so I was pretty ticked off at this doctor's office. But at this point I knew everything was happening for some reason, I just didn’t know what the reason was yet. I called my dad and he said I would be coming home and they would book a flight for that week. I was in shock how quickly my life had just changed drastically. Within 4 days I was in Nebraska instead of Idaho. The flight was awful for my head. They were the two longest flights I had ever taken. My head was throbbing the whole time. I had to put my head between my legs just so I wouldn't scream out of agony. The flight attendants were extremely concerned for me. They came over a lot and asked the people how I was and the people next to me always told me I was sleeping even though I wasn't. I WISH I could have slept! Once I got to Nebraska I had appointments with my primary doctor he tried a few different things and he sent me to a neurologist who gave me a different medication (a beta blocker) that just made me act funny. Then, one day I felt inspired to go to a chiropractor, I had looked up things online before and already had a specific office in mind. I went there and they were so intrigued with my case. It was crazy. So, this was the end of March and I was supposed to go back in two weeks from the first time I went in. I failed a test that they did on one of my arteries called a declines test and they were worried I had a stroke. So, they did light treatments on me just in case I had suffered more than what it may have seemed. I had my boyfriend come out to Nebraska so my mom had me drive back to Idaho with him so he didn’t have to go alone and I came right back here 4 days after I was in Idaho, so it was a quick trip. But, then I came back and I kept getting treatments from the chiropractor, three times a week, every week, they were trying everything they knew. I got a test done (called a dopler) on my artery and there was not any blockage, meaning I didn’t suffer from a stroke. It was nice to know that that wasn't the issue, but at the same time I almost WISH there was something major and obvious wrong just so I would know what to do to treat it. I was just having weird headaches every single day. Then, about two weeks ago I started taking some different medications. I went to a different ENT here who gave me different things to take as well. There is a little swelling on my head so I was taking things to lessen the swelling. About a week and a half ago I went to get an MRI done just to make sure nothing was wrong there and mostly I just had a lot of mucous and my cyst was still seen. There wasn't anything else wrong. Now, I have been taking them for a few weeks and I’m finally starting to feel like me again. Well, at least until the past few days. It's been weird, my headache has been back to it's worst. (well almost its worst) I don't know what is happening. But, I'll make it, I know it.

It has just been crazy the past four months of this I have been incredibly blessed. I have been able to be on the receiving side of service and the mercies of God. It’s been absolutely amazing. So many things have helped me, family, friends, the scriptures, church meetings, and especially prayer. I feel like every Sunday my headache is just bearable enough to go to church, then after church it always seems to get worse, but I know that it’s because going to church is SO IMPORTANT. I know that the Lord is watching out for me and I know that all the priesthood blessings I have received throughout these months will be fulfilled. I truly believe that I will someday be healed and someday I will one day wake up and I won’t have a headache. I have been so blessed. I didn't always realize how blessed I was through this experience though. It has been more of a recent discovery (at least the full discovery at least...) I have been able to accept the way that things are and find a way to be happy anyway. I've been making a few new friends here in Nebraska, but I still REALLY MISS my Idaho friends. I have come closer to my Heavenly Father and I have really been able to receive some IMPORTANT personal revelation. My life has some huge changes coming within the next days and months. Once all my big changes are in effect I guarantee I will be blogging about it. But, for now... I CHOOSE HAPPINESS :D :D :D 



No comments:

Post a Comment